Friday, December 4, 2009

Whats your favorite opera?

Mine is Rigoletto, mainly because of Bella figlia del' amore, and La Donna e Mobile.



Whats your favorite opera?star theater



Don Giovanni - probably the greatest opera ever written. Next to D.G. I'd have to go with Tosca. Phantom is not an opera. It is a stage musical, a la "Cats" or "Les Miserables" etc.



Whats your favorite opera?extension opera theater



Monteverdi's L'Orfeo (I adore early music)



Douglas Moore's The Ballad of Baby Doe
Madame Butterfly



The Consul- got to love modern operas!
Aida
Mine are Purcell's semi-operas, such as King Arthur and The Tempest. Also I love Blow's Venus and Adonis. Also Handel's Julius Cesar.



As for classical operas, Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov is fabulous.
Bellini's Norma. Casta Diva is a beautiful piece of music.
this week it is Vanessa by Samuel Barber .... loved it before I met Eleanor Steber (she was the first Vanessa) and Gian Carlo Menotti (the librettist), Rosalind Elias (the first Erika), and Regina Resnik (the first Grandmother) .... it's so dark and brooding with these wonderfully tragic overtones when no one actually dies on stage (just an implied abortion)



Under the willow tree two doves cry .. two doves cry
I like La Donna E Mobile as well. But my favorite opera is Carmen. Great story, great music. I especially like the version with Marilyn Horne as Carmen and James McCracken as Don Jose.
If I had to pick just one, it would be Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro." It's full of Mozart's most inspired genius. There isn't one weak moment in it, either musically or dramatically.
Verdi agreed with you. He called it his favorite..The recording with Gobbi is by far the best. To me, the last act does not stand up to the earlier.
I don't really enjoy operas, but my favourites are Tosca and Carmen and Madame Butterfly.
Admitting that I love, adore and worship all operas, especially the Verdi, Puccini, Donizetti, Bellini and Wagner great works, but perhaps my favourite opera would have to be Giordano's Andrea Chenier.



The great recording with Del Monaco, Tebaldi, Bastianini, Cossotto et al should convince all opera followers of the value of this work.
Phantom its the only opera I've seen

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
parasites